Christian Missions Trips
Explore Short-Term and Long-Term Options
ABWE helps create many different venues for missionary work, both short-term and long-term. Short-term trips provide a great introduction to missions work, and with many different types of trips to choose from, they’ll help you get your feet wet in the world of missionary work. These trips typically last for one to two weeks and involve working with a local church or organization on various projects.
On the other hand, long-term missions require a longer commitment, typically lasting for at least a few years years. These ministries usually involve working with a specific organization or church on long-term projects such as planting a new church, working with refugees, or teaching English as a second language. No matter which type of missions you choose, you’ll surely grow in your faith and make a difference in the lives of those you serve.
What is a Missions Trip?
For many people, missions trips help them challenge themselves both spiritually and emotionally. These trips offer opportunities to explore new cultures and learn about different ways of life. They also provide a chance to serve others and make a difference in the world and can be a great way to grow personally and deepen your faith. If you feel God’s calling for missions work, ABWE offers many different options. You could choose to go on a short-term or long-term trip, work with children or adults, or focus on medical or construction work. Since there are many different locations to choose, you can find a place that fits your personality and gifts. These exciting and rewarding experiences offer opportunities to learn empathy for others, cultivate your spiritual gifts, and make a difference in lives that last into eternity.
How Long is a Missions Trip?
Missions trips vary in length, depending on the goals of the trip and the needs of the community being served. Some missions trips last only a week or two, while others extend for several months. In general, shorter mission trips focus more on specific projects, such as building a new school or clinic. Longer mission trips may provide opportunities for more sustained engagement with the community, such as working with local organizations on long-term development initiatives. Regardless of the length of the trip, all missions trips involve a commitment to service and provide opportunities to make a positive impact on others’ lives.
Why Do a Missions Trip with an Agency?
Missions trips offer unique experiences to serve those in need while also gaining a deeper understanding of other cultures and ways of life. For many people, these trips alter their lives and help them to see the world in a new light.
When choosing a missions trip, select an experienced and reputable agency. A good agency provides comprehensive support: including help with fundraising, logistics, and training. They also equip you with a network of established relationships with local organizations and leaders, which make for a more meaningful and impactful trip where your focus can be undivided.
When choosing a trip, make sure the agency you choose aligns with your values. ABWE takes great care selecting the programs and projects we support around the world. There is a rigorous application process to find sustainable projects that align with core values and recognize the communities’ needs. Click here to learn more about our responsible missions trips and how you can get involved!
Different Types of Missions Trips
Missions vary quite a bit depending on availability. Short-term missions, mid-term missions, and long-term missions all have their own unique purposes. Short-term missions typically last anywhere from two months to a year. Mid-term missions last anywhere from one to four years. The long-term missions typically last four years or more. All three types uniquely serve God and have their own benefits and challenges. Let’s take a closer look at the different types of missions so you can discern which one is right for you:
Short-Term Missions Trips
- High School – Short-term missions trips give high school students a chance to learn about other cultures and build relationships with people from different backgrounds. These trips also provide an opportunity for students to serve others like Christ and to grow in their spiritual maturity.
- College Students – Short-term missions trips enhance college student experiences by helping them get involved in areas outside of their normal scope of study. This provides opportunities to learn about other cultures and serve people in need. They also give students chances to develop leadership skills and learn how to work with others in a team setting.
- Teens – Short-term mission trips equip teens with safe and engaging opportunities to get out of their comfort zones. Since many trips take place in developing countries, these trips help them develop a greater appreciation for what they have. Teen missions trips can be a transformative experience and provide an excellent way to get involved in the world.
ABWE offers short-term missions trips, perfect for students and professionals who want to make an impact in a short period of time. Imagine traveling to some of the most beautiful places on earth while making a difference in the lives of others. Check out our upcoming trips, and book your spot on one of our short-term mission trips now!
Mid-Term Missions and Missions Trips
Mid-term missions serve God and others by engaging with communities where you might feel called into long-term services. This engaging opportunity for individuals, families, or churches has the potential of changing lives in powerful ways. Mid-term mission trips provide Christians with cross-cultural opportunities as well as educational tools so they can make disciples throughout their lifetime which will transform entire communities.
- Families – A midterm family missions trip offers a chance to engage in charitable efforts, discover new cultures, and develop fresh bonds with communities and other missionaries. You also significantly improve the lives of others who are less fortunate by participating in service projects like arranging sports, creating crafts, or helping to build a house. Check out our different locations, and choose the destination that best suits your family!
- Medical – Medical missions trips allow health care professionals to provide medical care and health education in communities where resources and services are scarce or difficult to obtain. You play an important role in providing essential healthcare to under-resourced clinics and hospitals by shadowing local doctors and nurses. Medical missions trips provide engaging and rewarding opportunities to assist local communities, hospitals, and clinics with invaluable support.
Do you feel God’s calling to make a difference in the world? ABWE offers mid-term missions opportunities that will equip you to make a lasting impact. You can choose to teach nursing students, produce evangelistic media, or even help plant a church. Whatever your passion, we have an opportunity for you. Click here to learn more about our mid-term missions trips and apply today!
Long-term missionaries stand as the backbone of ministries that not only spread the Gospel, but also watch it take root and transform communities. Long-term missions require more than one year’s involvement on the field. Mission workers involve themselves in research, pastoral training, church planting, training, discipleship, and numerous other ministries including education and sports ministry.
- Career – Long-term missions offer the perfect opportunity to jumpstart your career. You’ll gain highly-demanded skills and experience while putting them to use in some of the most challenging and rewarding environments on earth. Let God help shape your career path.
- Adults – Adult missions provide an excellent path for those looking to get involved in ministry work. You’ll use this opportunity to test your skills and talents when helping others, while also getting to know new people and cultures. Long-term missions can be customized to fit the needs of your group. Whether centered around a specific ministry or professionals, God finds use for those who hear his calling.
Create a full-time ministry life in a place of great spiritual need. Your two-year or longer commitment will allow you to establish long-term ministries and equip local believers to lead the church long after you leave. Explore our long-term options, and see where God calls you!
Get Weekly Missions Updates
We send out a weekly missions update email letting you know about all the latest news, stories, and prayer requests from our missionaries in the field. By hearing and seeing examples of what God does worldwide through ABWE, you gain a more comprehensive idea of what life looks like in each different ministry. Sign up for our free, weekly mission updates today!