General Giving FAQs
1. How do I receive a 2023 tax deduction?
- Checks: Mailed check donations must be postmarked in 2023.
- Credit/Debit Card: Credit and debit card donations by phone will be accepted until 5:00pm (EST) on Friday, December 29th, 2023.
- Online Giving: Available until midnight (EST) Sunday, December 31st at www.abwe.org/give.
As a courtesy to our donors, an Annual Giving Summary will be issued by January 31, 2024.
2. How can I access my end-of-year giving summary information?
The year-to-date total on your final receipt for the year qualifies as a substantiation of your deductible contributions for Federal tax purposes. In addition, ABWE issues an Annual Giving Summary by email or mail on or before January 31 of the following year.
Access your giving summary using our donor portal via the My Account link, and create an account or log in.
Requests for the annual giving summary will be accepted after February 15. Check your email spam folder prior to making a request.
3. What methods of giving does ABWE accept?
- Single Gift by Bank Account: Give online using a US checking or savings account.
- Single Gift by Credit/Debit Card: We accept VISA, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover credit/debit cards.
- Automated Giving From Bank Account or Credit/Debit Cards: Choose the date and frequency for your gift.
- Online Bill Pay Checks: Reference the missionary/project name that you are supporting in memo.
- Personal or Business Checks or Money Order: Make payable to ABWE. Include the return portion from your last donation receipt or a copy of your email receipt. Let us know which account number, project or missionary you would like your gift directed to in the check memo. Mail in this form with your check or money order.
- Mail checks to:
- P.O Box 8585
- Harrisburg, PA 17105-8585
- Mail checks to:
4. How do I give online?
5. Does ABWE offer refunds?
All donations to ABWE are final.
If you’ve made an error while entering your donation information, please contact Donor Services 800.901.2293 or firstname.lastname@example.org immediately. Refunds for online errors are made on a case-by-case basis, and if approved, will be issued to the original method of payment.
6. How long will it take for my donation to be processed?
We make every effort to enter donations as quickly as possible. The following are guidelines, and vary depending on the volume of gifts we receive.
Checks: 7-10 business days
Online donations: 2-3 business days
7. Is my information secure?
ABWE uses Stripe, a leading Internet payment gateway, to process all online transactions. All of our processes are PCI DSS compliant.
8. What do you do with my personal information?
9. Who do I contact if I need assistance making an online donation?
If you need help making a donation, please contact us or call 800.901.2293.
10. How much of the money that I send actually goes to the missionary?
All donations are subject to a 2.5% financial services charge.
The 2.5% financial services charge covers:
- Donation Processing & Receipting
- Annual Tax Form Preparation
- Payroll & Expense Report Processing
- Bank & Audit Fees
- Liability Insurance
Credit/debit card transaction fees (typically 3%) charged to us by banks, can either be covered by the donor or will be passed along to the missionary.
For Example: If you donate $100 to a missionary online using a debit/credit card, a $3 transaction fee is collected by the credit card company and $97 remains for the missionary’s ministry account.
To have 100% of your donation go to your missionary, consider the following:
- Switch your giving method to eCheck (EFT) or;
- Include the 3% transaction fees along with your gift.
Contact email@example.com to discuss the best giving options for reducing fees.
11. What is the purpose of a support commitment?
A support commitment is a non-binding agreement between you and the missionary or project. This agreement enables the missionary to evaluate their support levels and determine how much is still needed to fulfill their support requirements.
12. How can I donate using Canadian funds?
If you require a revenue Canada compliant receipt, your donations must be submitted to ABWE Canada’s website.
Taxes and Receipting FAQs
1. Are contributions to ABWE tax deductible?
ABWE is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Contributions are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. While tax-deductible contributions are made with the understanding that ABWE has complete discretion and control over the use of the donated funds, every effort will be made to apply donations to a preference, if indicated.
If goods or services are exchanged for the gift, the value of the goods or services is not tax-deductible.
2. What is the EIN for ABWE?
An EIN (Employer Identification Number) is the tax id assigned to ABWE by the IRS.
The EIN for ABWE (Association of Baptists for World Evangelism, Inc.) is 23-1445623.
Note that for certain legacy and planned giving opportunities, donations may be made directly to ABWE Foundation LLC, which has a separate EIN.
3. What can I expect to receive after sending a donation to ABWE?
- Donation Receipt: ABWE will issue a receipt after your donation is processed. Receipts will meet all IRS requirements for substantiating your deduction for support and ministry donations.
- Message Magazine: As a donor you will receive our award-winning Message magazine.
4. How can I request a duplicate receipt?
Contact ABWE Donor Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or give the team a call at 717.774.7000 and they will be happy to provide you with one.
5. How can I change my receipt preference?
Contact ABWE Donor Services at email@example.com or give the team a call at 717.774.7000 to let us know how you would like to receive your receipts.
6. Does ABWE file a Form 990 with the IRS and how can I get a copy?
Churches and church-related organizations like ABWE are not required to file Form 990 with the IRS. We do send audited financial statements to financial partners upon request, or you can review them here.
7. What happens to donations preferenced for the ministry of a specified missionary if they leave ABWE?
If a missionary leaves ABWE with a balance remaining in the account for the ministry of the specified missionary, ABWE reserves the right to use the balance as it deems best towards its charitable purposes. This account was setup by ABWE to track the salary, benefits, and other eligible ministry expenses of the specified missionary. Similarly, if a potential worker is unable to raise the support needed to begin service with ABWE and leaves prior to beginning work, ABWE may use the funds in the related account as it deems best.
Although ABWE has complete control and discretion of these missionary accounts, generally, ABWE will seek to apply these balances to other missionary or project accounts in the same country or region of the world where the prior missionary served. Recommendations of the departing missionary will also be reviewed and considered. However, the departing missionary is not entitled to receive these funds back and cannot designate how these funds will be used going forward, nor are the donors generally entitled to refunds.
If ABWE receives donations preferenced for a specified missionary after the missionary has left ABWE, the funds will be returned to the donor.
8. What happens to donations preferenced for a project that is overfunded or underfunded?
ABWE will make every effort to apply donations to a preferenced project if indicated. Generally, if a project is under/overfunded ABWE will seek to apply funds to as similar a purpose as possible to the donors indicated preference. However, ABWE reserves the right to use project balances as it deems best towards its charitable purposes.
Legacy Giving FAQs
1. What is Legacy Giving?
ABWE’s Legacy Giving Department will help you take advantage of the opportunities provided by our tax laws to increase the effectiveness of your giving or combine giving goals with personal financial planning goals. Programs include giving through wills, trusts, annuities, and other plans. Planning wisely can make it possible to provide gifts to missions after your estate assets and liabilities have been settled.
2. Can I give non-cash gifts?
ABWE accepts gifts of stock and mutual funds through our online giving platform as well as through direct transfers to our brokerage account initiated by your investment advisor or broker.
If you would like more information on how to make a direct transfer of stocks or mutual funds to support an ABWE missionary or project, please contact one of our Donor Service specialists at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1.800.901.2293.
3. How do I include a missions gift in my will?
Visit ABWE’s Legacy Giving website to learn more.
4. How do I give securities?
A gift of securities is actually a non-cash gift. When appreciated (current value exceeds your cost) they should be transferred to ABWE and sold by us. This permits you to receive a tax deduction for the full value without being taxed on any of the gain. Your transfer can be made by sending the certificates and a signed stock power (available from your broker or ABWE) under separate cover. Or, you can have your securities transferred from your brokerage account to ABWE’s account. Securities, which have declined in value since you purchased them, should be sold and the proceeds sent, so you can take the loss as a tax deduction. For more information contact visit our Legacy Giving website or call us 800.921.2293.