If you have a gift for English language communication, the Hungarian people and ABWE need you. As an ESL teacher in Hungary, you will develop personal relationships in the community as you teach a valuable skill. Like many countries in Eastern Europe, the spiritual landscape in Hungary is cold — but the people are warm and friendly, and willing to learn about Christ’s message of love and faith.
As an ESL teacher, you will:
- Use your gift of teaching to bring outstanding language skills to the Hungarian people, teaching children and adults spoken and written English
- Share your passion and enthusiasm for the Word of God and create a welcoming atmosphere so that students want to join the church
- Live an authentically Christian life and spread God’s love through your personal testimony
- Answer questions about Scripture and encourage and lead discussions about the meaning of faith
- Be willing to learn the Hungarian language to better communicate with community members
Prior Communist Party leadership spent 40 years intimidating, discriminating and infiltrating Hungary. By the time religious liberty was restored in 1990, many Hungarians considered church and religion irrelevant. Despite Hungary’s long history of strong religious affiliations, current statistics indicate that fewer than 2 percent of Hungary’s people have experienced a true encounter with the gospel. About half of the population is Roman Catholic, and about 20 percent are members of the Reformed Church. Only 11,000 Hungarians identify as saved, a figure roughly equal to the number of Jehovah’s Witnesses. With your help, we can reach more Hungarians with the hope of Jesus Christ.
Learning English is of tremendous importance to the Hungarian people because it opens job opportunities. Through the grace of God, ABWE has earned success through teaching English to kids and adults by partnering with local churches. As an ESL teacher, you’ll get to know your students through the English courses offered by ABWE at local churches and schools. ABWE also operates after-school English clubs, and through these programs our Hungarian churches have grown in membership.
Won’t you help the people of Hungary find true faith? Join ABWE as an ESL teacher in Hungary.