Language can be a doorway — or a barrier. As an English-as-a-Second-Language (ESL) teacher for ABWE in the Balkans, you can share your knowledge and enrich the community as you share the love of Christ. This fun and engaging role gives you the opportunity to learn the culture and language, as well as develop the relationships that will lead to deeper conversations about faith. As a native English speaker, you’ll enjoy a unique opportunity to provide the community with an in-demand skill while living out the gospel of Jesus Christ.
The ESL teacher will:
- Teach English speaking and writing skills in home groups, schools or at the university level
- Get to know ESL students in a way that will encourage future discussions about faith, beliefs and practices
- Have the heart, knowledge and energy to minister to community members who may know little about the gospel
- Identify the differences between belief systems when called upon to do so
- Use your natural gifts to plant the seeds for the future growth of God’s love
The Balkans is ethnically diverse region with predominantly Muslim, Catholic and Orthodox beliefs. The land is rich with history, beauty and resources but the differences in religious beliefs have led to civil wars and disunity. Many people in the Balkans are at least familiar with the three dominant religions, but their familiarity with the true gospel is rare. As an ESL teacher, you will play an important role in developing a community that will be open to the Word of Christ.
ABWE first ministered in the Balkans by reaching out to the neighborhood children through sports. The region’s history includes hosting the Winter Olympics, so there is a natural interest in hockey, and the people are quite often athletic. ABWE brought a hockey stick and hockey balls. Before long our youth sports leaders began to influence children in a brand-new way. Today, those children are spreading the Word of God throughout the Balkans through similar outreach efforts — and you can do the same by teaching English.
As an ESL teacher, you will enrich the community and join forces with church planters in the Balkans to share the love of Jesus.
Bring the light of God’s love to the Balkans and find out more about joining ABWE as an ESL teacher.