Clearing Volunteers For Your Field
As one of our many services and benefits to our missionary family and through a partnership with ClearTravel, ABWE is now able to streamline the process of clearing US volunteers to minister alongside current missionaries on the field.
Missionaries: please direct teams and individuals from your sending churches (and other groups connected to you) to utilize ClearTravel for all documents, background checks, and other required steps.
How To Use ClearTravel For Volunteer Trips
All those ministering on ABWE fields must use ClearTravel.org to register their ministry trip. The website will ensure everyone completes the ABWE requirements for volunteers ministering on the field, which include:
- A criminal background check (good for 5 years)
- Child safety training (must be completed once)
- Security training (must be completed once)
- Daily emergency medical and evacuation insurance
Who is a volunteer?
A volunteer is someone who has all of the following characteristics:
- U.S. citizen of any age (Canadian volunteers should register with ABWE Canada)
- Planning to serve on the field in any ministry capacity with ABWE
- Will be on the field for less than 60 days
- Has not submitted an application through ABWE’s Mobilization Department to participate in this trip
- Does not have an ABWE support account to fundraise for this trip
- Applicable for all ages, including minors (under 18)
- Minors must register to receive emergency medical and evacuation insurance and trip approval, but they do not have to complete the child safety and security training or undergo a background check.
ABWE is working with partner organizations, like Samaritan’s Purse and CWE, to meet our trip requirements within their processes. Therefore, volunteers coming through these two organizations do not have to register through ClearTravel. If you have questions about requirements for volunteers serving with partner organizations not mentioned, please contact email@example.com.
Note: Guests [i.e., visitors traveling to ABWE fields who will not participate in any ministry activity] do not have to register using ClearTravel. However, guests cannot to participate in any ministry activity since they have not been approved through the ClearTravel process.
FIRST-TIME VOLUNTEERS: All volunteers are charged $100 for their initial trip through ClearTravel. The $100 fee covers the costs for the background check, both required trainings, administrative fees, and the required emergency medical and evacuation insurance for the trip. The purchased insurance is not “travel insurance” (which typically covers itinerary and travel plans), but a special medical policy to cover emergencies and evacuation if required.
RETURNING/REPEAT VOLUNTEERS: Volunteers who have completed a background check for ABWE in the past 5 years and taken the child safety and security training, will be charged $25 (per trip) to help cover the costs of the emergency medical and evacuation insurance.
Background checks must be renewed every 5 years (cost TBD). Volunteers are only required to take the child safety and security training once.
MINORS: Minors are not required to complete a background check, child safety training, or security training, so their cost will be $15 to help cover the costs of emergency medical and evacuation insurance.
Because it pays for services rendered, there is no tax deduction for the registration fee.
How to Register Volunteers
If you plan on hosting volunteers on your field, please contact the ClearTravel Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org to get login credentials for the ClearTravel website. You will need to register every trip and will serve as the “trip host” for your volunteers.
To register a trip for volunteers in ClearTravel, the trip host should:
1. Access ClearTravel.org with your login credentials.
2. Select “ADD A NEW TRIP” under “Trip Management.”
3. Add yourself as a “MEMBER.” No need to add other members. Volunteers will add themselves as “MEMBERS” during their registration process (see below).
4. Complete all required information on the left side of the form. Status defaults to “Pending” Type your name as Host. Select answers on all other fields on the left side.
5. Ignore the “COMPLIANCE REQUIREMENTS” and “ADD REQUIREMENTS” sections on the right side of the form, as these are for administrative use.
ONCE A TRIP IS APPROVED:
You will receive a registration link to send to your volunteers. Copy this link into an email and send it to the group (or the leader for him to forward to others) so volunteers can register and add themselves as “MEMBERS” to the trip.
Communicate the registration requirements and explain the processing fee to your volunteer(s).
Volunteers (or the guardian of underage volunteers) must complete their own registration to acknowledge releases, etc. Payment is due upon registration.
You are responsible to monitor and follow-up with volunteers to ensure completion of all required components prior to the trip. Trip hosts can log in to ClearTravel to see the status of each volunteer application.
As trip host, ABWE will send you a Crisis Risk & Release form for you to distribute to each volunteer. This form must be completed and submitted to email@example.com (either directly or by forwarded by the trip host).
If you or the volunteers have questions, please submit questions via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.