Essential Mission Components (EMC)
Who This Is For:
- Prefield Missionaries (REQUIRED)
- ABWE Short-Term and Long-Term Missionaries (SUGGESTED)
- US Pastors and Church Planters (BY INVITATION)
About This Training
Open to participants by invitation only, Essential Mission Components (EMC) is a highly interactive, week-long course held at the ABWE International Headquarters in Harrisburg, PA.
Taught by a team of experienced ABWE missionaries who represent all major areas of the ABWE world, most of the training is done in small group, simulation-based settings designed to equip you for cross-cultural church planting that leads to national or regional church-planting movements and international missions movements.
Held in conjunction with EMC, ABWE also offers Student and Teen Adventure Missions Preparation (STAMP) — a training for children ages 4 to 13+ to learn about the adjustments of living overseas and the MK (missionary kid) experience.
After your request to enroll in EMC has been approved, you will receive instructions and tools for completing the prerequisite assignments for EMC (see details below for more information). Completion of these assignments is required before EMC course registration. Registration closes one month prior to the event.
Prerequisite Course Assignments
- All prefielders will be required to complete the country/city-specific research on the categories included in the Eco-factor PowerPoint cards (provided upon enrollment) and submit the PowerPoint cards for evaluation.
- All prefielders will need to develop a solid, workable knowledge of the dominant religious worldview of the church planting context(s) in which you will be/are by completing a Religious Worldview Grid (provided upon enrollment).
- ABWE prefielders only: are required to lead a new believer through The Way to Joy and lead an unbeliever through The Story of Hope.
- All participants should read the following books and articles and be prepared to discuss them in the course:
- Global Church Planting by Craig Ott, Gene Wilson & Rick Warren
- Cross-Cultural Connections: Stepping Out and Fitting in Around the World by Duane Elmer. (InterVarsity Press 2006)
- Church Planting Movements
- International Missions Movements
- Level III Discipleship: Training Leaders Within the Local Church Through Mentoring
ABWE Prefielders: Submit assignments at Central / My Assignments.