Missions Multimedia Workshop
Dates: June 2024
Dates: October 2024
Combine Your Love for Media and Your Passion for Missions
Storytellers Abroad: Missions Multimedia Workshop takes you to the heart of missions by taking you to the hearts of people. People whose lives have been changed by the gospel. People who have a story to tell.
Whether your passion is for photography, design, video production, social media, or writing, the key to effectively using those tools lies in your ability to get to the heart of the story.
Media Creation With a Purpose
This isn’t just another video storytelling workshop. Through it all, the focus is MISSIONS. Although we take the technical training to a high level, our ultimate goal is to:
- Produce a narrative story, which engages the audience to give, go and/or pray for missions.
- Show you how your skills can make a difference for the gospel, and
- Give you steps to move forward in developing a career in missions communications.
Our coaches are world-class missions storytellers. They will help you produce your own video story of a life that has been impacted by the ministry of ABWE in that country. Because each workshop participant is producing their own story, you can benefit from your own experience and skill set as you apply them to your project. You will also be challenged to build complementary skill sets in areas that are new to you, and raise the bar on the skills you already bring to the table.
“Missions Multimedia Workshop exceeded my expectations…not only the technical, but the spiritual…helping me grow in my faith.”
—Liz Ortiz, Short-term Media Missionary
Sample Workshop Schedule
- Days 1-3 – Training at ABWE’s International Headquarters in Harrisburg, PA
- Day 4 – Travel as a team to overseas workshop location
- Days 5-14 – Story Production, working with instructors and missionary teams on location
- Each day will involve instruction on the next step in the production process, followed by you going out to shoot, record, or edit that phase of your project. Working one-on-one with an instructor, you will then review your work, building each step of the production process.
- Days 15-17 – Return to ABWE’s International Headquarters for final editing steps, and a Grand Premier Event to showcase your project
Qualifications and Requirements
First and foremost, participants should demonstrate an interest in using media storytelling in biblical missions.
Storytellers Abroad is geared toward those with one- or two-years background in visual education, and those who are working professionals in photography or video. A basic understanding of technology, terminology, and production methods is required.
This workshop is tailored for the still photographer who wants to make the transition to video. Equally, it is designed for the video documentarian who wishes to develop their storytelling abilities in a missions context. Over two weeks, you will develop and expand your video skill set by taking an idea from concept to finished piece.
If you are a student, this course is designed to fulfill internship requirements of most photography, journalism, digital media, design or missions majors. It may also qualify for course credit at your institution. Contact us to discuss the details.
Costs and Fundraising
The workshop fee includes all travel expenses from Harrisburg, PA (airfare, baggage, taxes, ground transportation, travel insurance), meals, housing, workshop tuition, supplies, use of equipment and software, and group activities.
Participants are responsible for their expenses to Harrisburg, PA, and any necessary immunizations, passport or visa costs (varies depending on destination).
- Air travel & incidentals
- Housing (hotel in Harrisburg, varies overseas)
- All meals
- Workshop expenses
- Use of media equipment and software